Tuesday, December 8, 2009

If I could add to my paper...

After finishing (well, not really, as you can tell) my paper, more ideas haunted my day ~ showing me several key pieces of information and connections that would have been beneficial, and enhanced my term paper. Since I could not continue to work on the paper, I decided to add one more blog and share them here.

I am in another class with Sam, and when we were discussing the Lewis Hyde text Trickster Makes the World in Lynda Sexson's class this morning, Dr. Sexson read a passage about Jung discussing Mercurius (aka Hermes) on page 181 "Mercurius consists of all conceivable opposites....He is the process by which the lower and material is transformed into the higher and spiritual, and vice versa. He is the devil, a redeeming psychopomp, an evasive trickster, and God's reflection in physical nature". (my emphasis) That reflection in nature of God would have added another layer of texture to my Jungian discussion of reflections in water. I might have also used it to connect Nabokov, as the 'god' figure using his imagination and reflection to create a fictional world in the text he created. God created the 'real' world and Nabokov created a world within his work - parallel mirroring.

I should have also explored Nabokov's dislike of sleep, how he felt it was a loss of consciousness and was repulsive to him. Again, just another layer added to what has already been said.

I wish I had further elaborated on the "tension film" I briefly discussed from Transparent Things. It could have become a much deeper, more complex aspect of my discussion of reflection and mirroring.

I originally planned to talk more about anagrams, palindromes, etc. as well as just physical reflections using words and language, to really bring word play and world play together more fully.

So, maybe you could pretend I included these ideas in my final paper...or as more food for thought...

This is my final blog for English 431 ~ Good Luck on the final and have a great holiday break!

No comments:

Post a Comment